After a few lay days and eager anticipation of the swell that is forecast for the end of the waiting period, The WSL Fiji Pro got under way this morning in average conditions.
The completion of the non-elimination Rd 1 in 4 ft Cloudbreak was not without the dramas. Heat 1 saw 11 time World Champion and 4 time event winner Kelly Slater beaten by Alejo Muniz and be pushed into Rd 2.
The stand out for the day was reigning event and world champion Gabriel Medina who surfed solidly to secure his Rd 3 position. Showing some of the flare he used to win the event last year Medina laid down some massive power hacks.
Another notable performance was from Australian wild card Jay Davies. Davies who reached the quarter finals at the Margaret River Pro as a wildcard, looked inform again getting the only decent barrel of the day. Although Davies didn’t find the scores needed to advance to Rd 3 he did show that he is a force to be reckoned with at this event.
A change in the rules this year means that wildcards can use the points won during their events to be able to qualify for the CT tour, and with Jay Davies having already getting a quarterfinal result and currently sat in 29th spot on the leaderboard if he does well in this event it could become a very real possibility for him to do this. Jay Davies does have one small problem in his way and that is that he has Kelly Slater in his Rd 2 match up. Stay tuned folks that is going to be a cracker of a heat. The swell forecast is looking really good over the weekend and into next week should be some perfect conditions.
Follow all the action at www.worldsurfleague.com
- Last spots for 2019 on whale swim in Tonga tour - Mar 14, 2019
- Margaret River Pro secured until 2021 - Mar 14, 2019
- A barefoot surf cinema night - Jan 8, 2019
- Coachella 2019 lineup announced - Jan 3, 2019
- Luxury Sustainable Surf Program - Dec 12, 2018
- Most instagramable surf spots - Dec 9, 2018
- Enter the Nikon Surf Photo contest - Dec 6, 2018
- Sharkbanz - Dec 6, 2018
- Damien Rice returns to Australia - Nov 29, 2018
- Congrats Stephanie Gilmore on 7th world title - Nov 27, 2018