Sally Fitzgibbons has claimed her first WSl event win of the season, despite busting her ear drum in a previous heat. Fitzgibbons consistently posted high scores throughout the event and on final day she was the biggest stand out. The final highlights are below
With an aggressive backhand attack in chunky conditions at Cloudbreak Fitzgibbons fought strongly from beginning to end and when the siren went to mark the end of the final she burst into tears. See her post contest interview below
Second placed Bianca Buitendag also thoroughly earned her spot in the final placing the highest scores in both the quarter and semi-finals.
The day started with round 4 heats being played out to decide the quarterfinalists. The surf was pumping all day but the weather got worse as the day went along with the final taking place in a massive downpour.
The results of the Fiji pro have changed the leaderboard, although Carissa Moore still holds the top spot it is by a slender margin with Courtney Conlogue having closed the gap in the last two events. Sally Fitzgibbons boosted by winning this event has climbed three spots to sit in third place. Bianca Buitendag who has also climbed three places to sixth. Unfortunately for Stephanie Gilmore having missed the last two events due to injury has slid four places to number eight on the leaderboard.
The women’s Fiji Pro was a thoroughly enjoyable event and the action is set to continue with the men’s event starting on the 7th June.
- Last spots for 2019 on whale swim in Tonga tour - Mar 14, 2019
- Margaret River Pro secured until 2021 - Mar 14, 2019
- A barefoot surf cinema night - Jan 8, 2019
- Coachella 2019 lineup announced - Jan 3, 2019
- Luxury Sustainable Surf Program - Dec 12, 2018
- Most instagramable surf spots - Dec 9, 2018
- Enter the Nikon Surf Photo contest - Dec 6, 2018
- Sharkbanz - Dec 6, 2018
- Damien Rice returns to Australia - Nov 29, 2018
- Congrats Stephanie Gilmore on 7th world title - Nov 27, 2018