The World Surf League (WSL) announced the appointment of Pritamo Ahrendt as WSL Head Judge. Ahrendt will take over the position previously held by Rich Porta, who will transition into a new role for the League.
Ahrendt joined the Championship Tour judges’ panel in 1999, and has worked closely with Porta and the WSL Commissioners’ Office in recent years, serving as an Associate Head Judge at the Championship Tour level. As WSL Head Judge, Ahrendt will oversee the consistency and accuracy of scoring across the judges’ panel alongside his other Head Judge duties. He will also work within the Commissioners’ Office team to further develop WSL Judging programs.
“It has been an honor to work for the WSL/ASP for the past 19 years, and I am humbled to move into the role of WSL Head Judge,” said Ahrendt. “It has been a privilege to watch the highest level of surfing and to critically analyze it. I am excited for this opportunity to oversee the panel and ensure the judging is fair and consistent, while also adapting as the world’s best surfers break down new performance barriers.”
Ahrendt brings over 19 years of experience to the WSL. He began as a Touring Judge at age 21 and was key to modifying the judging criteria to reward progressive maneuvers. Ahrendt’s vast knowledge and foresight will be invaluable in evolving the judging criteria in step with the progression of the world’s best surfers.
“We are excited to have Pritamo Ahrendt as WSL Head Judge,” said Kieren Perrow, WSL Commissioner. “I respect his professionalism and proficiency in all aspects of his work. It is no secret that judging is a very difficult job, so it is great to have Pritamo lead the judging panel.”
Ahrendt will transition into this position starting immediately, taking over for Porta, who has served as Head Judge since 2010. In his new role, Porta will work with the Commissioners’ Office on initiatives related to judging development.
- Why Japan should be on your surf trip list in 2019 - Jan 16, 2019
- Medina wins WSL title at Pipe, Hawaii - Dec 19, 2018
- Christmas Gift Guide for the surfer - Dec 19, 2018
- France Pro crowns Wilson & Conlogue - Oct 13, 2018
- Top eco-friendly festivals to add to your travels - Sep 10, 2018
- Bali’s Tipi Jabrik wins Quiksilver Uluwatu Challenge - Aug 7, 2018
- Courtney Conlogue & Kanoa Igarashi claim Vans US Open wins - Aug 7, 2018
- Corona Bali Protected crowns Lakey Peterson & Italo Ferreira - Jun 5, 2018
- Corona Bali Pro tackles beach pollution - May 25, 2018
- Discover Bali’s Surfing Hot Spots with Anantara Uluwatu Resort - May 21, 2018