We spend all summer surfing mush and wishing for some winter swells and then spend all winter freezing our asses off wishing for the sunny rays to warm us again. So what’s better? Summer V’s Winter.
Clearly summer has some immediate advantages the biggest one being the rise in temperature, which everyone has to admit makes surfing much more fun.
There is also the massive bonus of having way more sunlight to be able to surf for way longer, especially if you are one of those unlucky people with a job. When you get those rare good days of the sun being out and pumping waves right up until 10 o’clock in the evening it does take some beating.
It’s not all roses though it comes with a cost, the crowds increase tenfold, the tourists come and take over the town, what is usually a five minute drive takes an hour and you can’t find a parking space anywhere. The summer can also be prone to long flat spells which can drive us all crazy.
The winter has some draw backs of its own, the water becomes so cold that after a few duck dives you feel like you want to vomit.
The weather can be less than fun and the opposite of those balmy flat days in the summer are howling storms that last for weeks. The winter does have a few good things to offer us though, a lot less people are keen to enter the water, so finally you can get to surf your favorite peak with just you and your mates. There are normally waves every day if you can be bothered to go and find them and these waves have usually got some power behind them. With a decent wetsuit surfing in the winter is nowhere near as bad as it was 25 years ago.
I think we all know the answer to this problem and the best time of year is autumn and spring where you can get the best of both worlds. The weather can be almost as good as the summer and the surf is the best it is going to be all year.
- Italo Ferreira and Caroline Marks Win Quiksilver Pro on Gold Coast - Apr 11, 2019
- Jetwing Surf Unravels Mystique of Sri Lanka’s East Coast - Apr 11, 2019
- Last spots for 2019 on whale swim in Tonga tour - Mar 14, 2019
- Margaret River Pro secured until 2021 - Mar 14, 2019
- A barefoot surf cinema night - Jan 8, 2019
- Coachella 2019 lineup announced - Jan 3, 2019
- Luxury Sustainable Surf Program - Dec 12, 2018
- Most instagramable surf spots - Dec 9, 2018
- Enter the Nikon Surf Photo contest - Dec 6, 2018
- Sharkbanz - Dec 6, 2018