After owning 2015 with their renowned EP figurine, Tired Lion have returned once again with the coming of their new single, ‘Not My Friends’.
‘Not My Friends’ was premiered on triple J on Monday night with Linda Marigliano, giving it the international stamp of approval. Stereogum exclaimed, “Tired Lion make songs that are meant to reach the back rows of crowds,” and that ‘Not My Friends’ is “an onslaught of crunchy riffs that are buoyed by strategically placed breathing space.”
Featuring some intense guitar playing, strong drum beats, beaming bass lines and the exclusive vocals of Sophie Hopes, the track strips the singer down to the core, exploring her emotionally raw and open writing efforts, as she explains, “I have never been inclined to go to extreme lengths to ‘fit in’ but at this time in my life I was so desperate to latch on to anything that made me feel like it was worth existing,”
“I eventually cut my losses, dropped the toxic people who appeared to be so pleasant to my face and moved on into a direction I chose for myself. I’m a lot happier being the outsider these days and I guess this was the song that justified the change.”
‘Not My Friends’ is the band’s first release since signing to Drew Process / UMA in Australia and Island Records in the UK, making it yet another impressive moment for Hopes and her team, Matt Tanner, Ethan Darnell and Nick Vasey.
The single lands just ahead of the band’s largest headline Australian tour date, starting at Melbourne’s Northcote Social Club on May 19.
In the midst of their blossoming career, the four are then set to travel overseas to play in June, on various dates around the UK and Europe, before returning home again for their appearance at the Splendour In The Grass Festival in July.
- 48 Hours in Kuta: A Weekend Guide - Sep 2, 2018
- How Mac DeMarco changed the face of indie-rock - Sep 1, 2018
- New Ivey EP to be released in November - Aug 26, 2018
- John Farnham’s Hunter Valley concert sold out - Aug 26, 2018
- The Babe Rainbow – Double Rainbow album review - Aug 20, 2018
- AirAsia partners with Juraki Surf Invitational - Aug 16, 2018
- The Complete Guide to King Gizzard - Aug 12, 2018
- BigCityBeats World Club Dome Korea is Back - Aug 11, 2018
- Bluesfest’s massive 30th anniversary line-up - Aug 9, 2018
- The new ‘skin tingling’ Hydro Sports at InterContinental Fiji - Jul 24, 2018